Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Soup and Cupcakes

Monday was knit night. I love knit night. I look forward to each one. Sometimes we spend more time eating and chatting than we do knitting, but who cares? It is my kind of fun. Occasionally, we do a soup swap. Everyone makes soup and brings enough for everyone else, and then we swap. It's exactly like a cookie exchange, except with soup. This is, after all, Northern Minnesota. We NEED soup for survival.

I decided to try a recipe for vegetarian tortilla soup and I have to say, Kevin and I were both happy with the results. I altered the recipe a bit, because that is what I do, and it came out great. Super tasty and minimally spicy. Nora found it too spicy anyway, but she thinks peppermint gum is too spicy. I love her, but I do not trust her version of spicy.




I found the recipe here, but I am going to write it below the way I made it. Because I can't vouch for it as published since I didn't make it quite like that. Close, but not quite.

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large red onion
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
3 cloves pressed garlic
1 tablespoon cumin
1 (28 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies (so 2 ounces)
6 cups vegetable broth
1 bag frozen corn (12 to 16 ounces)
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
shredded cheddar
sour cream
avocado

1. Finely chop the onions and peppers. I used my food processor and everything got pretty wet. I was OK with that, but if you aren't, then maybe use a knife. Whatever floats your boat.

2. In a large soup pot, sautee the onions, peppers and garlic in the oil until soft.

3. Add the cumin, tomatoes, chilies and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes. You can season with salt and pepper if desired.

4. Add the corn and black beans and cook 5 minutes or so, until they are hot.

5. Serve with cheese, avocado, sour cream and tortilla chips. Yum!





Like I said, sometimes we spend more time eating than knitting. I baked cupcakes to share. They are white cake with lemon buttercream icing. I topped them with yellow cake sparkles. They are pretty nice. Three days later, we only have 5 left out of 24. I am happy about that because I have only eaten one. Yup, one.

No comments:

Post a Comment