Monday, July 13, 2009

Strawberry Season

It's that time of year again!

On Saturday afternoon, we took a girls-only trip to Finke's. Grandma Bev drove, and between the four of us, we picked five gallons of berries.



We brought home three gallons, and I hulled and froze half of them for future use. Don't they look luscious?




I used a few to make a dessert for Sunday dinner. The crust is made out of crushed pretzels, sugar and butter. Mmmmmmm....




Tonight, I made a very small batch of strawberry jam while Kevin took the girls down to the lake to throw rocks in. I did a cooked jam and ended up with four half-pints. This was my first attempt at canning by myself, and I am happy to say that all four of my jars sealed! Which is extra exciting, since I don't even have a canner. I had to use a big stock pot.

I have the ice cream canister in the freezer and we are going to make strawberry ice cream in the morning. And that will be pretty much it for our berries. Because we just ate about a billion fresh, too.

I can't wait to go back and pick some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment