Friday, July 24, 2009

For my Mama

Today is my mom's birthday. Happy birthday, Mom!

Have you met my mom? If so, you are well aware that neutral is not her thing. She loves color, she loves patterns, and she loves things that are vibrant.

She has a skirt that she wears a lot. It is very colorful. It has many tiers. Did I mention she wears it a lot? Well, I decided it needs a break, and the best way to make that happen is to throw something else into the rotation. Like a similar skirt. Similar but better. And so I made her one.



You're going to have to click on that photo to see it larger. That way you can see the variety of vibrant prints up close, and you can see the fancy schmancy trim better.




Oh, how I love that bird fabric! I just think it is adorable. I hope she loves it, too, because it is the main panel.

So this skirt: wow, was there a lot of cutting and measuring! And gathering! Oh, the gathering. However, it was all very easy to do. It was time consuming, but the monotony of gathering is very relaxing, and I enjoyed it. Plus, it was really fun to see the skirt come together as each new tier was added. The edges of the trim are raw and will fray up in the wash, which will be even cuter.

The only downfall of this skirt is its weight. It may not look like it, but there is a lot of fabric here. Like 4 yards of fabric. But let's be realistic here: It's Minnesota. I was happy for my wool socks last night. The weight is probably not such a downfall.

My mom opened this gift a couple of hours ago and immediately asked me to make a matching top. Not tiered, of course. Just a simple tank out of one fabric. She hasn't decided which fabric yet. Don't worry, though-I will post photos when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment