Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mini Messenger

So Nora has been asking and asking for a messenger bag instead of a backpack. All of the ones I can find are intended for laptops, and because of the extra padding and everything, they are really heavy! And bulky! And the straps are ridiculously long. And because of these issues, I told her I would figure out how to make her one, one that is lightweight and smaller and with shorter adjustable straps. I promised to do all of this in time for school to start in the fall, but one night I was doing something or another and I found an online tutorial for messenger bags.

Since my sewing skills are a work in progress, I was a bit hesitant to just jump into this. So I looked through the rest of this woman's blog and somewhere saw mention of a smaller version. So I decided to make myself the mini messenger as a trial and, if it worked out and wasn't too complicated, I could make the bigger one for Nora for school.





And you know what? It totally worked out and it was pretty easy!




You actually follow the sewing directions for the regular messenger bag, but there is sort of an addendum tutorial with the smaller measurements and some other notes if you want to make the mini messenger.

The mini uses three fat quarters, two zippers, a magnetic snap, and about a yard of interfacing. So I made this for about $10! This photo shows the front of the bag, with the flap closed.




I used Amy Butler fabric and I have to say, it turned out really cute. I love it! Do you see the magnetic snap there? It is sitting right in the middle of two pockets. I keep my phone in one and it's perfect. The flap actually covers the pocket and prevents the phone from just falling out. Nice!




That's the inside of the purse. It has a ziptop closure, so I don't have to worry about my wallet falling out. Also, do you see that green zipper inside there? It has an interior zipper pocket! I still can't believe I sewed an interior pocket! It was actually very easy, but don't tell anyone.




This is the back. There are two pockets, but I am not sure what I will put in them. Maybe a mini Kleenex packet or something I won't worry about losing. They don't have closures, so whatever I stash there won't be super secure or anything. Still-there are five pockets, plus the main part of the bag. I will be able to carry everything I need in an organized fashion.

Sometime soon I will take Nora to select fabric for her school messenger. I can totally make her one without pulling any of my hair out! I am really excited!

1 comment:

  1. This is super cool, Alissa! It looks complicated (and therefore, impressive). Sorry I'm behind on my reading or I would have commented earlier.

    ReplyDelete