Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Chocolate Pecan Pie

I had never made a pecan pie before. In fact, I haven't even eaten pecan pie before. But Saturday was my dad's birthday, and I volunteered to bring dessert to Sunday dinner. And for some reason I thought to myself, "Dad loves pecan pie!" So I went and found a recipe on the world wide web.



Sorry about the distracting pattern on the dishes. It isn't the best for photographing food.

Anyhoo, this pie? So delicious I couldn't stop thinking about it until the last slice was gone. Because the longer this pie sits in the fridge, the better it tastes. And it's super easy!

The recipe is here, but I am going to rewrite it because I made a couple of minor changes.

Chocolate Pecan Pie


1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup whole pecans
single crust pastry

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Line either a deep-dish pie plate or an 11-inch tart pan with pie pastry. Trust me-there is too much filling for a regular 9-inch pie plate. We hate when pie filling overflows into our oven.

3. Melt the butter in a heavy pan on the stovetop. Mix in the corn syrup, sugar and cocoa powder. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. This could take a little while. I cooked mine for about 15 minutes, until it was really smooth.

4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Add a bit of the hot chocolate mixture and mix it up. I think this is called tempering. If you just throw the eggs into the chocolate on the stove, they will scramble. This extra step prevents that from happening. Because who wants scrambled eggs in their pie?

5. Add the tempered eggs back into the chocolate mixture and mix well. Add vanilla and salt and mix well. Finally, stir in the chopped pecans.

6. Pour the pie filling into the unbaked shell. Arrange whole pecans on top in a pattern that pleases you. Bake for 55 minutes.

7. CHILL WELL and serve. Like I said, this tasted better on day 2, and better yet on day 3.

It's like a chewy, delicious brownie full of tasty pecans.

No comments:

Post a Comment