Monday, August 3, 2009

Sour Cherry Slab Pie

Yesterday I realized that my parents' sour cherry tree was full of ripe fruit. I am almost positive they love growing fruit for me to steal, so I did just that. I got out the step ladder and picked every single cherry I could reach. My dad wouldn't let me get all dangerous and dumb and made sure I didn't stand on the second to highest step, which was clearly labeled "Do NOT stand on or above this step!" Is it sad or funny that my dad still had to keep an eye on me while I picked cherries? Anyhow, there are still cherries on the top of the tree, but only birds and people over 5' 3" can reach them.





I think they look quite cheerful in my colander. Little do they know they are about to be turned into a sour cherry slab pie...





OK, I know this doesn't look like much straight from the oven. I mean, anything could be inside. But trust me: it gets better.




See? Tell me that doesn't look like a little bit of heaven!




I used the Smitten Kitchen all-butter pie crust recipe, which is unbelievable. And the tart filling pairs so perfectly with a sweet-tart glaze of confectioner's sugar and lemon juice. Oh, man! I think I ate three slices of this stuff today.

I love this concept of a slab pie. I am looking forward to trying other fillings now that pie crust doesn't scare the heck out of me. Goodbye, waistline!

No comments:

Post a Comment